- 2 L canned tomatoes (preferably 74-40 or San Marzano)
- 1 medium Spanish onion, diced
- 2 tb olive oil
- 4 roma tomato, diced
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- Spice blend: 1 tb each of chili powder, cumin, paprika, 1 ts chili flakes
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 tb apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ts sugar
- 1.5 cup heavy cream
- 1 tb pesto
- A few sprigs dill and basil, rough chopped
- S+P to taste
- In medium size pot, saute onion, garlic and diced roma tomato with olive oil on med heat. Season with S+P.
- When soft, add spice blend, then deglaze with wine, reduce slightly.
- Add canned tomatoes, sugar, bay leaf, apple cider vinegar and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from heat, and remove bay leaf.
- Add pesto and rough chopped herbs.
- Blend with hand blender while adding cream. Blend until smooth and the colour has changed slightly orange.
- Season with S+P.
- Cook a grilled cheese with American cheese, then chop into small cubes for crouton garnish.
Shelf Life: 5 days, or easily frozen