Download Recipe Card:
- 1 lb cod or any other mild whitefish
- 1 small can wheat beer
- 1oz orange juice
- 1 ts chili flakes
- 1 lime, juiced
- Bring the beer, juice, chili and fish to a boil, allow to simmer for two minutes, then flip the fish.
- Turn off the heat and allow residual heat to finish cooking.
- Remove from liquid, allow to cook, pat dry with a cloth.
COD CAKE METHOD:
- 2 cup mashed potatoes
Spice blend: 1 ts each of nutmeg, Cajun spice, celery salt, marjoram
- 1 tb dijon
- 1 egg
- 1 pound poached fish from above
- 1 knob ginger, grated
- 2-3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 lemon, zest only
- 3 shakes hot sauce
- 4-5 tb panko breadcrumbs (or AP flour)
- 1/2 red onion, fine diced
- In a mixing bowl add the onion, mash potatoes and poached fish.
- Using a microplane or cheese grater, zest in the ginger and lemon.
- Add all the other ingredients. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into cakes.
- 3 tb AP flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Add the cod cake to the flour, then dredge in egg wash, then panko.
- Sear in a cast iron skillet or a non-stick frying pan, 3-4 minutes per side.
Yeild: 10 cod cakes
Shelf Life: 3 days