If you want to think like a chef, you must celebrate your own regional cuisine. Watch Cheoff Geoff teach you how to make the ultimate bacon peameal sandwich and an easy maple, mustard and beer marinated pork loin recipe.
Toronto is know as “Hogtown,” because many years ago the Lakeshore was covered in pig farms. One of Toronto’s famous street foods is the peameal bacon sandwich–especially from St. Lawrence Market. Also know as back bacon or Canadian bacon, peameal is made from a sweet pickled pork loin, slow roasted and covered in cornmeal. This recipe teaches you how to make the peameal bacon from scratch and build a two-fisted, ultimate peameal bacon sandwich. Bon Appetit!
MAPLE BEER PORK LOIN:
- 2-3lb pork loin (sweet pickled preferred)
- 2 tb Keen’s dry mustard
- 2 tb garlic powder
- 3 tb pure maple syrup
- S+P to taste
- 1 cup hoppy style IPA beer
- Preheat your oven to 425.
- Score the fat side of the pork.
- Combine all the dry spices.
- Rub the spice blend all over the pork loin.
- Pour the beer into a baking dish.
- Pour beer all over the pork.
- Roast in the over covered with tin foil for 30 minutes
- Remove tin foil and roast for another 30 minutes until interior temperature is 140 degrees.
- All to rest, then slice into thick pieces.
HOW TO BUILD THE ULTIMATE PEAMEAL BACON SANDWICH
- 3 thick slice peameal bacon
- 1 large crusty Kaiser bun
- 3 slice beefsteak tomato
- 1 ts French’s yellow mustard
- 4 slice smoked cheddar
- 2 tb pickled vegetables, recipe: https://cheoffgeoff.com/2020/05/30/how-to-quick-pickle-anything/
- 1 tb apple fig jam https://cheoffgeoff.com/2020/05/18/cider-brine-pork-chops-with-apple-fig-jam-recipe-long-weekend-bbq/
- Squeeze mustard on bottom half of the bun.
- Add the tomato slices
- Layer the peameal bacon and cheddar cheese.
- Spread apple fig jam on the top half bun,
- Add pickled vegetables.
- Enjoy with your favourite beer. Bon Appetit, eh!