If you want to think like a chef, you must pay homage to your roots. Watch Cheoff Geoff teach you how to make a grilled romaine Caesar salad with roasted prosciutto, garlic toast points and the best classic Caesar dressing from scratch.
When I was a kid, my Italian mom used to make the best Caesar salad. We would always request it for birthdays or family functions. Today we’re gonna take a different spin on a classic. We are going to grill romaine hearts whole and drizzle them with homemade Caesar dressing. This is recipe is a great addition to a family BBQ or a show-stopper for a romantic dinner. Bon Appetit!
CLASSIC CAESAR DRESSING
- 6 anchovies
- 3 clove garlic
- 2 eggs
- 2 tb red wine vinegar
- 2 tb Worcestershire
- 1 tb Dijon mustard
- 1 cup oil blend: 3 part canola, 1 EVOO
- 1 cup shredded Grana Padano Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, juiced
- S+P to taste
- Pulse the anchovies and garlic 15 times in a food processor.
- Add eggs, vinegar, Worcestershire, Dijon.
- Blend until smooth.
- While blending, slowly add the oil mixture to emulsify. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add cheese and lemon, blend swiftly until smooth.
- Season with S+P.
Shelf life: 5 days
Yield: 2 cups
HOW TO BUILD A GRILLED ROMAINE CAESAR SALAD
- 2 head romaine hearts, halved
- 6 thin slices of baguette
- ¼ olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 piece prosciutto, roasted
- 6 tb Classic Caesar dressing
- ½ lemon, caramelized
- 3 tb shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cracked pepper to taste
- See video for slicing techniques. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vm-2au6JuA&feature=youtu.be
- Roast prosciutto in the oven at 400 for 5 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Combine crushed garlic and EVOO.
- Using a brush, spread garlic oil all over the cross section of the romaine and the sliced baguette. Season with S+P.
- Heat your BBQ to 350, then grill the romaine 2 minutes per side. Same for the garlic toast points.
- Layer the ingredients on a large platter, then drizzle with dressing.
- Finished with cheese and cracked pepper.