If you want to think like a chef, you can’t be intimidated by any kind of food preparation. Even cheese making. Watch Cheoff Geoff teach you how to make Queso Fresco at home three different ways.
The idea of making cheese at home can be really intimidating. Cheese feels like something you have to buy at the store or the farmer’s market. But not anymore, you can make fresh cheese at home with four simple ingredients: whole milk, lime juice, apple cider vinegar and sea salt.
Queso Fresco translates from Spanish is “fresh cheese.” It has its roots in Spain but has been popularized by Mexican food culture. It’s mild taste is a perfect canvas to bold build flavour profile. This video shows you how to make Queso Fresco three different ways: sweet, savoury and spicy. Bon Appetit!
QUESO FRESCO THREE WAYS
- 2L whole milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tb Maldon sea salt to taste
- Add the milk to a large sauce pot.
- Simmer on medium heat for about 6-8 minutes
- When the temperature reaches 170, squeeze in lime juice.
- Slowly stir with a slotted spoon.
- When the temperature reaches 190, turn off the heat.
- Gradually stir in the apple cider vinegar.
- Let stand in the pot for 15 minutes.
- Strain the curds from the whey through a cheesecloth lined strainer.
- Discard the whey.
- Wrap the cheese tightly and hang at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add the cheese to a mixing bowl and knead the cheese with a fork. This process can take up to 5 minutes. You want to have a creamy, dense consistency.
- Add the sea salt to taste.
SPICY PEPPER QUESO:
- 8 pickled pepper or jalapeno slices
- 3 springs cilantro, fine diced
- 1 ts garlic, crushed
- 5 shakes hot sauce
HONEY ROSEMARY QUESO:
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, fine diced
- 1 tb liquid honey
- ½ ts cracked black pepper
BASIL SUN DRIED TOMATO QUESO:
- 3 tb sun dried tomato paste or chopped tomatoes
- 3 sprig basil, fine diced
- ½ ts garlic, crushed
SAME METHOD FOR ALL THREE APPLICATIONS:
- Add feature ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Add the Queso Fresco and mix vigorously.
- Add mixture to a mold.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
YIELD: 1 pound fresh cheese, three ways.
SHELF LIFE: 2 weeks.